Take the Reins or Else...

 Taking The Back Seat Wont't Help You



Photocredit: Unsplash


... it makes you dependent and desperate when it counts.

In my second year in the University, I was never confident going into practical exams.

Looking back, it's not surprising...

I used to be okay with letting someone else take the spotlight. 

It meant that I wasn't taking the heat when things went nose-diving into the Pacific.

But I was wrong...

I was wrong to think that taking the easy and most comfortable route was the best way to go. I was wrong in enjoying the back seat and watching someone else do the work I should be doing.

I'll admit that it felt good at the time, really good...

Like icing on cake.

But what happens when you take too much sugar?

That's right, diabetes.

And that's kind of what happened to me...

I watched people in my lab classes gladly hand over all the responsibilities to a single person while they gisted till their mouths went dry.

"How do you intend to learn this thing before the exam if you don't do it yourself?" was the question I would ask, jokingly, since I didn't want to stir any trouble in a very volatile lab.

Plus, I didn't want to come across as a hypocrite since I wasn't exactly a workhorse myself.

They would either ignore the question or answer with a dismissive quip like, "Don't worry na small thing".

Must be nice... 

At least that's what I thought till I found out just how worried they were hours before the exam. Scurrying to make sure they had everything in place. 

Some even forget some crucial items and hurry to get them at the last minute.

Because they didn't pay attention back then...

Unfortunately, I was one of those who would rather let someone do the critical part while I prayed for their success.

There was a blatant difference in the way we carried ourselves during the exam periods, as opposed to those who pretty much carried the labs on their shoulders all semester.

The crux of my rambling is this:

Feeling comfortable while taking the easy option and surfing through life on small waves doesn't mean it'll help you in the long run.

You may not know it at the moment, but you'll become increasingly susceptible to laziness and indecisiveness.

Two qualities that are guaranteed to make you miserable.

Think of all the experiences and knowledge you would have gained if you had taken the lead.

If you weren't so fixated on being the spectator, hiding from the spotlight and dodging every chance to take the reins.

When crunch time comes, all the experiences gathered will come into play and you don't want to be the person who doesn't have them.

Post a Comment

0 Comments