The Difference Between Procrastination and Productive Breaks


Photocredit: Unsplash 

If you're a writer, you know the rhythm. 

That subtle dance between your thoughts and the blank page, the flow of ideas that transform into words and sentences. 

It's exhilarating, but it can also be tricky to maintain that momentum, especially when life's distractions play their part.

"But, wouldn't it feel great to always finish any piece of writing you started?"

To know that despite the stacked odds (mostly you getting in your way) and the urge to quit, you put the final dot at the end of that sentence?

If you're reading this, you probably have your off days, when you feel like writing is more of a chore than a hobby or a passion. 

Then, it becomes increasingly difficult to import ideas on a page and you get frustrated.


"Why can't I write a single page?!" you ask.


But, there are also times when you look back at your uncompleted work and you have this nostalgic desire to finish it.

Most writers mistake productive breaks with lazy procrastination because the two are very similar in a broad sense. 

Honestly, if you can't make a clear distinction between the two, you may have some big problems with completing projects.

But I wasn't always aware of these subtle differences...

Just last week, I was reminded of a fiction novel I started two years ago. The outline of its plot sits comfortably in my mind, the characters still waiting to leap onto the page, yet the draft remains incomplete, trapped in the realm of 'someday.' 

And yet, there it is—an expired reminder that keeps showing up in my to-do list app, a literal virtual bookmark of both my intention and my hesitation.

I still see the reminder every time I open my to-do list app, and I've always mildly wondered why I hadn't zipped to the draft to complete it.

It started to bother me a lot more recently, and it got me thinking:


Maybe the reason I wasn't making any progress on that was because I was mistaking the need to take a break for an excuse to be lazy.


Have you ever had that thought?

That realization got me to study the difference between those productive pauses and lazy procrastination.

It was from this epic journey of discovery that I learned of another dance.

You may be familiar with it...

It's called: Pushing through, embracing the grind, and recognizing when to pause. 

It's always a good idea to have strategic pauses between work; to let ideas percolate, and to recharge our creative engines.

So, you're probably asking: "What's the difference between these productive breaks and procrastination?"

Well, here's the secret sauce: Breaks aren't about forgetting or disconnecting; they're about letting ideas marinate and nurturing your creativity. 

They're like those pit stops during a long road trip—a chance to refuel, recalibrate, and get back on track with renewed energy. 

They're where ideas simmer and rejuvenation happens. They're part of the journey, not a detour from it.

Can the same be said about procrastination? 

Probably not.

You should know you're procrastinating when you feel a disconnect from the work. When you no longer seem to care about the progress you're making and instead decide to binge-watch movies as a part of a 'self-care' routine.

That  is a dangerous spot to be in if productivity is your aim.

The next time you're in a loop of 'Should I take a break or keep pushing through?' remember that even during those breaks, our minds are still engaged with the work.

You can decide to do anything during that time. A walk, a change of scenery, or even a conversation with a friend can be the spark that sets your creativity ablaze.

In my case, I find journaling to be quite cathartic and most of my brilliant ideas usually come from my frantic outpouring of random thoughts. It also keeps me from losing my sanity, lol.


*Taking crucial breaks is not about being lazy; it's about strategic rejuvenation.


It does plenty of good to reflect on the beauty of balance—the fine art of recognizing when to step away briefly, to take in fresh perspectives, and then dive back into the writing arena with renewed vigor.


As a little side note...

Progress isn't always linear; it's not about taking one full sprint till the end. Instead, think of it as a dance, a rhythm that embraces both effort and rest. 

It's about recognizing that the pauses in the music are just as crucial as the moments of crescendo.

Hope you found this helpful.


P.S.: If you've had a side project you've been avoiding for a while, bring it up in the comments because why not?

~To becoming better one page at a time.🥂

Post a Comment

0 Comments